We recently took a trip to the beautiful islands of Hawaii to get some hard earned R & R. After the devestation on Maui, we were able to get all of our travel arrangements changed to Kauai. Known as the Garden Island, Kauai is the oldest island in the Hawaiian chain. As such, it has some of the most mature and lush forests. In true Vokoun family fashion, we quickly set our eyes to happy hour upon our arrival. My eyes immediately went to one of the island’s well known nectars, and I created a POG juice cocktail!
POG juice is simply a combination of equal parts passion fruit juice, orange juice, and guava juice. It’s really that simple and creates a finished product that is dangerously delicious. Add a little bit of liquid spirits to it, garnish with some fresh pineapple, and you have yourself a cocktail.
The juice by itself is absolutely delectable, but adding your spirit of choice and you have created a beverage you wont want to set down. Keep true to the tropical vibes and pour in some dark rum. Or, change it up with a mainland twist by adding in some Kentucky bourbon. Whatever your spirit of choice, it can be mixed with POG juice to create a memorable happy hour!
How to Make a POG Juice Cocktail
There are two ways you can enjoy this tropical delight. The first way is over ice. In a cocktail glass filled with ice pour in 1.75 ounces of your spirit of choice. I chose vodka, as that happened to be what we had on hand. Fill the cocktail glass the rest of the way with POG juice.
The second way you can enjoy a POG juice cocktail is blended! Add all your ingredients for the cocktail to a blender, add ice, and blend. If you’re doing this at home, you might want to invest in some cocktail glasses like these vintage cocktail glasses to add a touch of class. When it comes to blended cocktails, try to stick to a 2:1 ratio of ice to all your other ingredients.
POG Juice Cocktail
- 1.75 oz Dark rum or spirit of choice
- 4 oz POG juice
- pineapple slice for garnish
- Pour your measured dark rum over ice in a cocktail glass
- Top with POG juice
- Stir, garnish, and serve!
Main dishes to pair with a POG Juice Cocktail
- Smoked Whole Chicken – perfect for that winner winner chicken dinner
- Smoky Cheeseburger – hold the pickles hold the lettuce
- Smokey Lime and Cilantro Pork Tenderloin – for your South of the border cravings
Side dishes to pair with a Cocktail
- BBQ Asparagus – simple, sweet, and tangy side dish perfect for that late spring and early summer BBQ
- Spicy Smoked Veggies – they are hot, you’ve been warned!
- 5 Ingredient Smoked Carrots – the easiest BBQ side dish around!
Disclaimer: Some links in my posts may be affiliate links. I’m not being paid to advertise them to my readers, however, I may make a small commission if you purchase them. This blogging thing ain’t free, ya know? I wouldn’t share anything I don’t already own myself, or have on my wish list of items to buy.