Better late than never, right? April kind of got away from me, but at least I’m getting this months cocktail in just under the wire. Who cares if it’s the eleventh hour, time is only relative anyway, right? Alright, no more corny idioms, let’s get down to brass tax. April’s cocktail of the month is the Peach Cobbler!
You might be thinking to yourself, April isn’t even peach season, why would the Peach Cobbler be the cocktail of the month! I’m glad we agree on how crazy it is that I chose it for this month’s cocktail. As it turns out, April 13th is National Peach Cobbler Day! The origins of why April 13th was chosen as a day to celebrate a classic American dessert will forever be shrouded in mystery. Could it possibly be a government conspiracy? Or, maybe it was one of those rare April days where there was no rain, a big blue sky, and a comfortable 70 degrees to remind us that summer is coming. Whatever the reason, April 13th is National Peach Cobbler Day, and we celebrate it by making the Peach Cobbler.
How to Make a Peach Cobbler
Start by placing some graham crackers in a sandwich size Ziplock bag with a couple tablespoons of brown sugar. Close the bag and crush the crackers into small pieces and mix with the brown sugar. Pour the mixture into a bowl where the bottom is wider than the width of the glass you plan on serving the cocktail in. In another bowl pour in enough hazelnut liqueur so that it’s roughly 1/4 inch deep. Rim the glass by placing it upside down in the bowl with the liqueur then into the bowl with the graham cracker and brown sugar mixture.
Start the cocktail by filling a cocktail shaker with ice, roughly half to 3/4 full. Then pour in the measured peach vodka, hazelnut liqueur, and heavy cream. If you are a frequent reader of PNWGrillandSip.com, you know what to do next. Get shaking!
Strain over your rimmed old fashioned glass with a few ice cubes in it. If you are able to find fresh peaches where and when you are, garnish with a peach slice and serve.
An American classic such as Peach Cobbler demands an American classic musician. When you thin of American classics and peaches, what is the first thing that comes to mind? Making his second appearance in the music recommendations list is the red headed stranger, Willie Nelson – Georgia On My Mind. I feel bad about including the cover of this song instead of the original, so give the original a listen and let me know which one you prefer, Ray Charles – Georgia On My Mind.
- Brown sugar for rimming
- Crushed graham crackers for rimming
- 1 1/2 ounce peach vodka
- 3/4 ounce hazelnut liqueur plus more for the rim
- 3/4 ounce heavy cream
- Peach slice for garnish
- Rim an old-fashioned glass with a combination of brown sugar and crushed graham crackers, wetting the rim with the liqueur.Brown sugar, Crushed graham crackers
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the peach vodka, hazelnut liqueur, and heavy cream.1 1/2 ounce peach vodka, 3/4 ounce hazelnut liqueur, 3/4 ounce heavy cream
- Shake well.
- Strain over fresh ice into the prepared glass.
- Garnish with a peach slice. Serve and enjoy.Peach slice
Entrée Pairings for the Peach Cobbler
- Smoked Whole Chicken – perfect for that winner winner chicken dinner
- Smoky Cheeseburger – hold the pickles hold the lettuce
- Smokey Lime and Cilantro Pork Tenderloin – for your South of the border cravings
Side Dish Pairings for the Peach Cobbler
- BBQ Asparagus – simple, sweet, and tangy side dish perfect for that late spring and early summer BBQ
- Spicy Smoked Veggies – they are hot, you’ve been warned!
- 5 Ingredient Smoked Carrots – the easiest BBQ side dish around!