Welcome to the new year! At PNW Grill and Sip we are trying something new. In an effort to generate more content and as a motivation to try new cocktails, we are doing a cocktail of the month! We are starting off 2022 with one of our household favorites, the Hot Buttered Rum!
Much like some of my previous cocktails (Harvey Wallbanger, Hurricane, Old Fashioned), this cocktail is not a new creation. However, it happens to be one of the favorites of my girlfriend, and her birthday is January 13th. So it gets the nod as our first cocktail of the month as we kick-off 2022. I attempted to make a different version of the hot buttered rum a couple of years ago and it was a catastrophe. I don’t know where I went wrong, but it was definitely not drinkable. It was time to try my hand at another version, as finding the Hot Buttered Rum is getting harder and harder these days! Follow along and make your own Hot Buttered Rum!
How to make a Hot Buttered Rum
This recipe makes four cocktails, so you can either separate the batter into four equal parts or make one big batch of hot buttered rum! I chose to make two cocktails (one for me, and one for my girlfriend) and freeze the other two servings for a later date.
Using an electric mixer, I used our KitchenAid, mixed together the room temperature butter, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt until thoroughly mixed and batter-like.
Pour your rum and boiling water over the batter and mix thoroughly, until the butter is totally melted and the sugar is fully dissolved. Garnish with a cinnamon stick and enjoy!
Seeing as how rum originates in the Caribbean, how can I not recommend some music from the region! Maybe not exactly cold weather-related, but you can drink this hot cocktail and listen to Bob Marley – Jamming and wish you were on the Caribbean island somewhere instead of wherever winter finds you at this moment.
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch salt
- 3/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 cups boiling water
- 4 sticks cinnamon for garnish
- Using an electric mixer, beat the brown sugar, butter, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt in a medium bowl until blended and smooth.2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, 1/4 cup honey, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves, Pinch salt
- Transfer the batter to 4 mugs. Add the rum and then 1/2 cup of boiling water to each. Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Divide the buttered rum among 4 mugs. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.3/4 cup spiced rum, 2 cups boiling water
- Stir until the butter mixture dissolves. Garnish with the cinnamon sticks and serve.4 sticks cinnamon