Whether it’s summer cookout season or a gray winter day, Instant Pot BBQ Beans will hit the spot! With plenty of smoky, sweet, and spicy BBQ flavor these beans make a show-stopping side to any meal!
Smell the smoky, woody aroma in the air and feel the sunshine because it’s barbecue time! No matter where you are or what time of year it is, nothing beats the amazing flavors of a cookout, and no cookout is complete without BBQ Beans. This exceptionally easy recipe for Instant Pot Beans makes this time-consuming side simple, so you can focus on the fun.
Why Instant Pot BBQ Beans Work
Instant Pot Ease- Cooking with an Instant Pot makes meals that would take hours in a fraction of the time. Cooking dried beans without an Instant Pot or pressure cooker is a long process, but thanks to this countertop appliance you can have rich and delicious beans in no time!
The Instant Pot also helps serve these beans. Keep the beans in the pot with it set to warm throughout the party and let everyone help themselves.
Smoky BBQ Savor- This recipe layers in tons of barbeque goodness with plenty of sauce, smoke, and brown sugar. It’s a saucy lip-smacking flavor that will keep you coming back for another bite!
Filling and Flavorful Beans- Beans are the star of this side dish. They bring a great protein-packed bite along with plenty of earthy and satisfying flavor. The recipe calls for navy or pinto beans; both are rich in protein, fiber, and iron, so this dish is as loaded in nutrients as it is in irresistible flavors.
Here’s How You Make Instant Pot BBQ Beans
Dry Beans- Flavorful beans are the main element of this dish. Navy beans are a perfect choice, but pinto beans are a great substitute.
Water- To cook the dried beans. To add a little extra flavor, sub a quarter of the water with vegetable or chicken stock.
Bacon- Wonderfully rich and savory bacon adds fat and salt to these tantalizing beans.
Yellow Onion- Onion adds a great pop of flavor and aroma to the beans. Optionally substitute white onion, in a pinch.
Red or Green Bell Pepper- Choose your favorite type of bell pepper, or mix a little of each. The pepper adds a great vegetable flavor and crunch to the recipe.
Barbecue Sauce- Use store-bought or homemade barbecue sauce to take these beans to a saucy new level.
Ketchup- Ketchup adds just the right amount of sweetness to the beans.
Spicy Brown Mustard- Spicy brown mustard adds tanginess, zest, and spice to the delicious bean sauce. Choose your favorite variety of spicy brown.
Apple Cider Vinegar- A.C.V. is a signature flavor of any great barbeque sauce. It adds a great sweet acid to the beans.
Liquid Smoke- Smokiness is the perfect balance to all the sweet and tangy flavors in these beans. Liquid smoke comes in many varieties made to mimic different wood flavors. Hickory is the most common to see in stores, but applewood smoke is a delicious alternative.
Light Brown Sugar- A touch of light brown sugar sweetens up the sauce and allows for plenty of tasty caramelization to happen!
Water- To help thin the sauce.
Step-by-Step Instructions for Instant Pot BBQ Beans
- Add the dry beans and water to the Instant Pot. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
- Remove the lid and pour the beans into a colander/strainer. Rinse with cold water.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add bacon and sauté for a few minutes until it starts to get golden brown, tossing and scraping down the bottom of the pot often. Drain the grease.
- Add bell pepper and onion and cook until tender.
- Turn Instant Pot off. Add BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar, and liquid smoke to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Add brown sugar, water, and beans and stir to combine.
- Secure the lid, close the steam valve, and cook on Manual (high pressure) for 15 minutes. Do a natural release of the pressure.
- Carefully open the lid, and gently stir the mixture to combine. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Instant Pot BBQ Beans?
Meat! These BBQ beans are begging for brisket or juicy chicken to complete the plate. These tangy beans go well with cornbread and warm greens.
Along with the perfect protein, these beans need a cool drink! Enjoy a delicious classic cocktail with a twist, like a fruity gin and tonic to celebrate the fun flavors of summer cookouts.
Instant Pot BBQ Beans are perfect for a party, they’re quick to cook, and can be left in the Instant Pot on “Keep Warm” to serve.
How do I Store and Reheat Leftover Instant Pot BBQ Beans?
Allow the beans to cool completely, then move them to an airtight container. Store leftover beans in the refrigerator for up to five days.
To reheat BBQ Beans on the stovetop, put beans into a saucepan and heat on LOW until bubbling and fully warm throughout. Stir occasionally to ensure even reheating.
To reheat in the microwave, put beans in a microwave-safe container. Microwave on normal setting in short bursts until hot. Check the beans in 30-second intervals and stir to ensure even heating.
Can I Use Canned Beans?
Yes, you can use this pantry swap in a pinch; however, some adjustments need to be made. If you are swapping the dry beans with canned, omit the first steps and pick up the recipe at step 3. Be sure to rinse and strain canned beans before adding them to the recipe.
Can I Make these BBQ Beans Vegetarian?
Yes, you can opt to leave the bacon out and replace it with a little olive oil to cook the veggies in. Thanks to the deliciously complex sauce on these beans there is still tons of tantalizing flavor even without the meat.
More Recipes to Love
If you are looking for the perfect protein for these tempting BBQ Beans, try these recipes:
And for something delicious to sip while you enjoy these BBQ Beans, try these ideas:
Instant Pot BBQ Beans
- 16 ounces dry navy or pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper cored, seeded, and finely chopped
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce store-bought or homemade
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- Add beans and water to instant pot. Cook on manual (high pressure) for 25 minutes. Allow the pressure to naturally release.
- Remove lid and pour beans into a colander/strainer. Rinse with cold water.
- Set Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add bacon and sauté for a few minutes until it starts to get golden brown, tossing and scraping down the bottom of the pot often. Draining the grease.
- Add bell pepper and onion and cook until tender.
- Turn Instant Pot off. Add BBQ sauce, ketchup, mustard, vinegar and liquid smoke to the pot and stir well to combine.
- Add brown sugar, water and beans and stir to combine.
- Secure the lid, close steam valve and cook on Manual (high pressure) for 15 minutes. Natural release the pressure.
- Carefully open lid, and gently stir mixture to combine. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: Some links in my posts may be affiliate links. I’m not being paid to advertise them to my readers, however, I may make a small commission if you purchase them. This blogging thing ain’t free, ya know? I wouldn’t share anything I don’t already own myself, or have on my wish list of items to buy.